What is Community Choreography Projects?
CCP is an open-call community performance art theater company led by Artistic Director, Barrie Barton. We create collaborative, community-based performance culminating into movement theater pieces. These movement theater pieces are the distilled collection of stories and movements from cast members. Our aim is always to render a passionate and poignant interpretation conveying universal messages.
- Performers include women and men, age range 20’s and up
- Prior performing experience not required
What Community Choreography Project is NOT?
- A Support Group
- Unstructured Expressive Outlet
What is the theme of the next project?
CCP seeks themes that are common all people. By doing so, the performer and audience experience a commonality and the ability to break down stereotypes and assumptions. The theme is Secrets: having, telling, knowing, revealing, concealing, denying and discovering.
When I join, what is expected of me?
These projects require:
- A completed interview form
- Regular attendance at rehearsals
- A willingness to collaborate
- Prepared to share your stories
- Equipped to be involved in a creative process where ambiguity exist
- Readiness to receive feedback and direction from the director
What other activities or events can I attend?
- Dance Potluck
- Sound Studio Taping
- Jubilee Performance
- Cast Potluck
- Volunteer to sell tickets, hang posters and/or sell ads
- Cast Party
- De-brief Party
- Reunion Party
What can I expect to receive from this experience?
Each person participating in these projects walks away with different outcomes. Here is a list of results of former performers:
- More Confidence
- A Sense of Belonging
- Lots of Fun
- Opportunity to examine self and life
- Chance to inspire many others
- Freedom through sharing stories and hearing others share their stories.
- An opportunity to do something original and new
When does the fun begin?
- Performance Workshop, 4 Mondays – starting Monday, Nov. 12; at Jubilee!, 5:45-7:45 pm.
- Performance Rehearsals, starting Monday, Jan. 7 through June, at Jubilee!; 5:45-8:00 pm.
Contact Barrie Barton
- 828 658-1217
When is the Performance?
- Performance week is Monday, June 17 – Saturday, June 22, 2013